Wednesday, September 14, 2011

They're Baaaaaaack!




And just in time for Halloween, too. I don't know if you remember (trust me, I DO!), but around this time of the year in 2009, I discovered that we had some unexpected house guests. Bats. I was a little freaked out. OK, maybe I was a LOT freaked out. They had taken up residence in the light fixtures just outside and over my front door. Needless to say, I asked them politely to leave. Then I tried not to look up there any more and pretended that they had gone their merry way. And no, that was not bat poop that I've been sweeping off my front porch for the last two years. (Denial is a powerful thing, people. Don't judge.) Anyhoo, this morning the sun was slowly rising and the hubby was getting ready to head off to work. He stepped out the front door and turned to say something to me, but I can quite recall what it was. I was a little distracted by black, fluttering objects swirling around his head like a cartoon character after he was bonked in the noggin. It took about two seconds to register that those weren't sparrows, baby. The bats were back, and they brought a pal. This time there were three of them, and they were looking for a place to roost for the day. I'm not sure what the Dutch word for bat is but I believe the term I used was "AHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! BAAAAAAAAAAATSSSSSSSSSSS! GET INSIIIIIIIIIIIDE!" No loss of dignity here, folks. The hubby casually glanced over his left shoulder to see what all the fuss was about. "INSIIIIIIIIDE!!! BEFORE THEY COME IIIIIIIN! " He stepped forward and I slammed the door. Then I started breathing again. Did I mention that I do not like bats? The bats were in a bit of a tizzy as well, because the front entry lights were now blazing hot and bright, keeping them from creeping back into their hiding spots. They flew in crazy circles around the porch and front yard while we peeked at them from the window. The hubby was not nearly as impressed as I was and soon took off for work, abandoning me to the creepy clutches of the evil little paragliders. I left the window before the lights cooled down enough for them to ease back into their bedroom over my front porch. It's hard to live in denial if I actually see them go in there, you know. I'm gonna need more caffeine to deal with this one. A LOT more caffeine.

2 comments:

  1. I saw you over at SOS aloha and thought I would come over and say hi. :)

    Ya know I used to be scared of bats too and then I saw an up close picture of their little faces and fell in love with them. Yeah I know...weird! LOL But now I like going outside and watching them fly around the lights as the sun goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Any friend of Kim's is a friend of mine! :0) I don't mind the little creatures at all, if they aren't flying around my front door and trying to come in. We first noticed them just after we moved in, but I hadn't actually seen them in quite a while. They are lots of fun to watch, but it is making it more and more difficult for the family to head out in the morning without my having unwanted house guests. Ick!

    ReplyDelete