Friday, September 23, 2011

Maastricht's Friday Market

What better way is there to enjoy a beautiful day in Europe, than with a friend, wandering around the Friday Market in Maastricht? Right now, I can't think of one. Maastricht is just over the border from Belgium, and it's one of my favorite cities in The Netherlands. I love Markets, too. You never know what interesting things you'll find for sale there. Maastricht's Market has a very large selection of fresh seafood. In fact, I'd have to say that they have the most impressive of any local market I've been to so far. Octopus and crab? You got it!In the mood for eel? Here you go! Doesn't that just make your mouth water? OK. Me neither, but I'm sure someone is very excited to find this speciality for sale here. I try not to judge.


This is something I didn't know about before, but absolutely loved. It's the old Dominican Church, constructed in 1294. It wasn't being used much recently, and was falling into disrepair. Luckily, they decided to renovate it, and turned it into...a modern bookstore. Don't you just love this idea? It might be my favorite place in all of Maastricht now. Old meets new. The past is kept alive and brought into the future. They didn't do anything to alter the original structure, but made it totally usuable. I love it. In 2008, it was voted the Best Bookstore In The World, and I'd have to agree. If you want to read more about it, check this site out.

Just beside the Dominican Church, is this lovely cafe, and here is where we ended our visit to Maastricht. We enjoyed a lovely cup of cappucino, a slice of fresh apricot pie, and a little "people watching" while basking in the sunlight. Ahhh. Life is good. Very good indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment