Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pottery Class

I'm just a few days into my second session of pottery classes in Belgie, and quite frankly, they are the highlight of my week. Who knew how relaxing and enjoyable it is to sit at a spinning wheel, covered in clay up to your elbows, and just create? And why didn't you share this secret with me sooner? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with our awesome teacher. He has a great sense of humor, and is infinitely patient with the crazy ladies that make up his class. He doesn't even flinch any more when I start out with "I saw this picture online..." or "Is it possible to..." He just tells me to go for it and gives me little pointers along the way to keep me on track. Of course, there have been a few times that we've gotten a little carried away (OK, very carried away) with our chatter at our coffee break. Poor Danny just leans back, shakes his head, and says "I'm glad my English is not so good." You're a very brave man, Danny. Very brave indeed.

7 comments:

  1. I like it. That is a lovely shape. How big?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's about the size of a soup bowl, but it will shrink a little in the firing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Candle holder maybe. I'm going to try to do some bigger shapes soon, but for now it's easier to form small to medium.

      Delete
  3. I'm moving to Brussels soon, and looking for a pottery studio for lessons (I'm a beginner). Is this studio near Brussels, and what is the business name, if you dont mind my asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this one would work for you. It's in a little town a little over an hour from Brussels. I know of one company in Brussels- search Artco.be on the internet. If they don't have wheels where you can throw pottery, they might know of someone else who does have it. Brussels is a beautiful city, and they offer just about anything you could ask for. You're going to love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BelgiumBarb... Hi there. I"ve been searching for a place to make a piece of pottery. Travelling isn't an issue. Where is the place you made your lovely bowl?

    Best Regards
    Paul Wright
    (Brussels)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello BelgiumBarb,

    Can you please provide the name of your pottery studio as well as the city? I moved to Brussels about 9 mos ago and would love to take a class. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete