Thursday, October 8, 2009

Random Ramblings

This is a beautiful statute in Overpelt, right in front of a fantastic restaurant called The Banana Split. I really don't have any information on this particular statute, other than the words "aan onze helden" on the front are Dutch for "Our Heroes". It has the years 1914, 1918, 1940 and 1945 on it and lists the heroes names on each side. There is a lot of history in this country.

On other topics, I've been keeping busy. I try to get out several times a week and check out more of the area. (Mostly that involves shopping, so the hubby might be letting the air out of my tires any day now.) Belgium is a lovely little country, with lots of little towns, connected with lots of winding and multi-sized roads. Just running simple errands can be an adventure. I'm proud to say that after just four short months here, I'm adapting quite well. I am no longer intimidated by busy round-abouts, and now attack them with the zeal of a local. I have mastered the skill of looking 42 different directions at once, while maintaining a speed of 90 clicks and dodging passing cars, scooters, bicyclists and pedestrians. (OK, maybe not 90 clicks in the roundabouts, but sometimes it feels like it.) I still use Tom as my copilot, but I now argue with him instead of simply following his directions blindly. "Are you SURE that way is shorter?" I ask him. Firmly he repeats the instructions, "Left on the roundabout, third exit." I accepted his idiosyncrasies at first, but as time passes, I'm starting to act more like his nagging wife. "Why on earth do you say 'left on the round-about' when all round-abouts are to the right only? Why not say RIGHT on the round-about???" I ask him. Just like any husband (electronic or otherwise), he ignores me and calmly repeats his instructions, "left on the round-about, third exit." Just remember, Tom, unlike my REAL husband, you have an on/off switch on your forehead. Watch the attitude, you big know-it-all. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment