Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm NUTS About My Neighbor!

A few days ago, my neighbor dropped by with a little surprise for me. She had a big plastic bucket filled with these nuts. She called them Castania nuts, and said they were for me! How cool is that? I told her that we love nuts, but I'd never heard of this kind. She told me to crack them open and roast the insides on a cookie sheet. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend! I can't wait!
A couple of hours later, I had another surprise. This time she had two bags: one was filled with walnuts, and the other with hazelnuts. I know what these are, and they are delicious! Sweet!
Did I pick the perfect neighborhood to move into or what? If you find yourself in the area, she told me that there are plenty more where these came from, and I'm welcome to all that I want. Can anyone say "walnut brownies"? Gotta love my neighbors!

3 comments:

  1. Those nuts in the top photos are chestnuts!! You do need to cook 'em before you eat 'em... but I think you can roast them in the shell as well as peeled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo of nuts to me look like what we call in Ohio....buckeyes. But I think your friend it right....they look a lot like chesnuts. "Chesnuts roasting on an open fire..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited about the Chestnuts! I'm going to roast some up! Now it's feeling like Christmas is just around the corner. :0)

    ReplyDelete