Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tiny Construction At My "Healthy House"

Some friends and I were talking to a local lady the other day, and the subject moved to spiders. We told her that no matter how much we cleaned or how often we swept or vacuumed our houses, there always seemed to be spider webs in the corners. You just can't seem to get rid of them. She said that they have a saying here: "A house with spiders is a healthy house." Leave it to the Belgians to turn something creepy or bad into a good thing. (They really don't get worked up over much of anything.) We asked her if they came up with this saying because there is just no way to get rid of them, and she just laughed. Apparently this is so. I seem to have adopted a spider outside as well. She is very shy, so I seldom see her, but she is very busy. Her main hobby in life is making a web to connect my mailbox to a nearby bush. Each day, I knock her web down to open my mailbox. Each day, she rebuilds the web. She is nothing if not determined. You would think that she would decide that it's too much work and just build a web somewhere else, but this is not the case. Apparently her daughters have inherited her determination, as well as lack of good judgement. They have decided to claim my van as their home. They build lovely little intricate webs on my review mirrors. Again, I seldom see them at work. Each day, I drive around and their webs are stretched and broken by the wind. Each night, they rebuild. Such is the circle of life.

2 comments:

  1. Ya know, I have a little pet spider in my rear view window as well. Fiesty lil guy! Whenever I open the car door and shut it (due to me getting in), he clammers out looking for a fight! I guess he's getting rather spiteful since I kill his web every morning...can't say I blame him, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the spiders rule in this country. It's a never ending battle! Atleast you see yours. Mine is very stealth! :0)

    ReplyDelete