Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Het Is Nat.

It is wet. That is a phrase that even I can understand in Nederlands. Even more so on a day like today. Because it is. Nat that is. Very...very nat. On a rainy day like today, this is the best seat in the house. This is Jess' room. Don't tell the teenager I told you this, but I'm planning on evicting her during the next storm! (Don't worry. She never reads this blog. I haven't written one thing about hot teenage guys, so there really isn't any point.) Her window is built into the slant of the roof on the second floor, so the rain hits directly on it, tapping gently like tiny strumming fingers, and then running in little rivers down the pane. What a fantastic sound that is. The only other window like it in the house is directly over the bathtub. I can't sleep in the bath tub. Believe me. I tried it out last night when it was raining really hard. Nope. The teenager is getting evicted, and that's all there is to it.
If you asked the boy what the best seat in the house was today, he would say that this is it. He's on Fall Break this week, so this is what he did for fun on a rainy Wednesday. I'm not even sure that he knew it was raining. But the rain continues. It stopped for a little while so I could run some errands and take care of a few things that had to be done outside. Then it started again. I'm OK with that. If it's nice tomorrow, I'll go out and clean my windows all sparkly fresh with all the other Belgian ladies. If it's not, I'll grab a book and hide out in Jess' bed, listening to the rain tapping on the window. Shhhhhhhh. It's a secret. Don't tell her.

No comments:

Post a Comment