Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's A Beautiful Fall Day!

It's a fantastically gorgeous Fall day. This definitely makes up for all of the rain that we've been having lately. We decided to get out and enjoy the weather with a bike ride along the canal. We haven't been able to do this much lately, because the weather has not been cooperating. The locals ride their bikes all the time in any type of weather, but I'm the first to admit that I'm a fair weather rider.
We had lots of company along the canal. I think everyone was out enjoying the sunshine.
Jess and I were out front, and we surprised this family of ducks near the bridge. They were not pleased that we interrupted their nap.
I don't even want to know what they were saying to us in duck world. (I'm sure it was not something that you could repeat to your mother.) Eventually, they got over it and went off to enjoy a lovely swim.
I believe that this is officially a Belgian Biker Gang. It's one rough group of individuals. Here is my baby. It's the Limo of bikes. Notice my snazzy little case on the back. These things are very popular here, because the locals do all their running around on bikes, and you have to have somewhere to put the things that you buy. It's perfect for packing a nice picnic lunch, as well. We'll get a lot of use out of it next summer.
I'm embarrassed to say that I took this right after we were "smoked" by a group of octogenarians. You can just make them out ahead of us. The little old ladies and gentlemen passed us quickly, and they looked like they weren't even breathing hard. We were traveling at a pretty good rate, too. I told Jess that it's bad enough that they passed me, but she should REALLY be hanging her head in shame. She's only 15, and in the prime of life! Maybe I need to start hitting the treadmill. That's just wrong.

This handsome fellow was near the canal on our return trip, and came over to say hello. He's a Belgian Horse. Really. That's what they call him. He, like the pig butt cow, is HUGE! They stand 16 to 18 hands high, and weigh between 1,800 and 2,000 pounds. That's a whole lot of horse! Despite his massive size, he was very friendly. (And I must say, he was really working that 1980's Flash Dance legwarmer look! Kudos on the fashion sense.) After we got home, Russ told me that we had biked 6 miles. Wow! I'm amazed. It also explains why my legs are tired. Take that you octogenarians! I might be slow, but I get there eventually!

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on your blog...of course now I will be late for work....I'm just saying...:0)
    Loved the pictures, makes me feel like I am there too. The waffles looked fabulous!!! wow!! Loved the spider story. We had similiar encounters with spiders when we lived in California.

    ReplyDelete