Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Day In Brussels

Today was....WOW! There really isn't any other way to describe it. I've been to Brussels on two other occasions. The first was when I flew into Belgium when we moved here. I don't think that really counts, because I was going on over two days with no sleep, and was essentially a walking zombie. The second time was when the kids and I went to Mini Europe and the Atomium with friends. That was a blast, but we didn't really see anything of the city. When our original plans for today were changed, I jumped at the chance to head over to Brussels and explore. This is the entrance to the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert.

The Galleries were essentially the first indoor "mall" in Europe. It's very popular. The glass ceiling was fantastic. It was raining when we first reached Brussels, so the roof was much appreciated. Next, we headed down lots of tiny little streets toward the center of the city. This area is called the I'llot Sacre. We stopped at this lovely little restaurant called The Lobster House for lunch. No, we didn't get the lobster. I think this was a good decision, because Brandon later informed me that he's pretty sure that the lobster on the neighboring table was waving at him and whispering "please help me...."
Due to the cold temperatures and rain, the fire that we sat beside was very welcomed. Here's me and my better half. You'd almost think we were on a romantic date for two. If you ever find yourself at the Lobster House, I recommend the pizza. It's some of the best we've had so far. (In fact, all the food there was excellent. Two thumbs up!)
After a delicious lunch, we were off again. The hubby was letting me be in charge of this operation, and my map reading skills are not my strong point. My job was to find our way to The Grand-Place. His job was to keep track of where we were so we could actually find our way back to the car. (His job was a lot harder than mine.) A few more turns and... The clouds parted, the sun came out and (cue the music and choir)....Wow! The Grand-Place. That's the name for this whole square. This is the heart of the oldest part of Brussels. This building is the Hotel de Ville (Town Hall). It was built in the early 1400's in the Gothic style, and was simply beautiful. This is the Maison du Roi (House of the King). It was originally a bread market, but now is the City Museum of Brussels. On the second floor of this museum you will find around 600 costumes for the famous Manneken-Pis. More on that later on...It got it's name because the Duke of Brabant used it for quite frequently for "administrative purposes." The details on this building were fantastic. This building dates back to the early 1500's. Before that, it was a much smaller wooden structure.
This building is La Cygne (The Swan). It because the butcher's guild house in 1720. It's now a restaurant. This is the Residence of the Dukes of Brabant, nos. 13-19 of Grand Place. The houses are named after the busts of the 19 Dukes of Brabant that decorate the facade. No dukes actually lived there. Yes, those are two little cherubs pulling the chariot. Apparently there were no Child Labor laws here. That's a Mom who knew how to keep the kids in line! Hmmmmm.....
This is another restaurant called La Chaloupe d'Or. Awwww. Aren't they cute? It's no wonder I take them with me everywhere I go! OK, they have relaxed enough. We are off again, and the hubby is really not thrilled with this quest. I was to see the infamous Manneken-Pis. (He rolls his eyes when I mention this.) Down more narrow streets we go.
I suspect this might be a sign that we are getting close. You will be happy to know that I resisted all temptation and did not buy any tiny, chocolate, naked, peeing boys. (Wow, that didn't sound that bad when I first typed it.) Somehow, it was not that appetizing. I'm just saying.As we neared this corner, I knew that success was mine. Just look at that crowd. There he is in all his blue-suited glory. The Manneken-Pis. That's Dutch for "little man urinating", in case you were wondering. There are lots of legends surrounding this statute. One is that a wealthy man lost his son in the city, only to later find him happily "watering" the plants in a small garden. Another is that a little boy came upon some explosives that were planted by enemies at the city walls. He peed on it to put the fuse out, therefore saving the entire city. There are more, but I'll spare you the rest. I'm sure you get the drift. People from all over the world send him costumes. They change his periodically. The rest are housed in a local museum where you can admire them at your leisure. He is a favorite among tourists, and tolerated by the locals. They just don't seem to understand why people flock to him and take his picture. It seems strange. My hubby agrees with them.
Et tu, Leonidas? I thought you were above such things. OK, I admit, it's funny. Again, not very appetizing. But this is something we can sink our teeth into. While I am taking pictures of a little naked statute, the family has moved on to greater issues of importance. The waffle stand. It was VERY popular. Maybe this will explain why. Don't you wish the computer was scratch and sniff?
Nice to see that we have gotten on a health kick since moving here, huh? No, they don't ship well, so don't even bother asking.
Heading back toward the car lead us to the Cathedrale Saints Michel et Gudule. It's twin towers are 69 meters high. This is a clock at the Palais de la Dynastie.This is the Eglise Saint-Jacques sur Coudenberg (Church of Saint-Jacque sur Coudenberg). It was built between 1776 and 1787. The statute is of Godefroid de Bouillion, the first King of Jerusalem. These gardens are on the Mont-des Arts. I'm sure they are beautiful in the summer. It also gives you a great view of the city and the spire of the Town Hall.
Finally, this is the Palais Royal (the Royal Palace). It's now the official residence of the Belgian sovereigns. Whew. It was a great day packed with lots of adventures. And a lot of walking. I don't know about you, but I'm tired. I'm off to dream of waffles and palaces and not...definitely not...little naked statutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment