Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sites on the Canal

We seem to travel along the canal almost daily now. Some days we ride our bikes. Some days, like yesterday, we walk along the paths with friends. We like to mix things up. On Friday, Jess was out doing her "teenager thing" with a friend, so Brandon and I rode our bikes for a while and ended up back at Da Boot. It's a cafe on a big boat that is moored near the red bridge, and is a lovely little place to eat. He and I enjoyed a nice lunch followed by ice cream for him. Poor Jess missed out on this one, but I'm sure there will be many more excursions like this in our future. There are lots of things to see along the canal. This sign tells a little bit about the area. If I read Dutch, I'm sure I would find it very informative. As it is, I enjoy the pictures and the maps. It does tell you what kind of fish are in the canal. There are benches here and there along the paths. Often, you will find a local sitting there in the shade, eating a sandwich and and enjoying the solitude. There are always lots of interesting boats along the canal. Most of the time, they are just passing through, but occasionally, there are some tied up along the canal. This one kind of reminded me of a pirate ship. Brandon spotted a huge mushroom on the side of the path. It was about the size of his head. He is convinced that it is a deadly mushroom cap from an episode of Psych. (I can't explain that one, you just have to watch that episode.) The summer is winding down. Only a few days of freedom left and the kids will be starting a new adventure called SCHOOL! Woo hoo! (Oh, sorry, was that out loud?) I need to buckle down and take care of business myself. I have to get out and buy some paint so I can paint over that lime green hallway. (I can't explain that one either. Some things are just to strange.)

No comments:

Post a Comment