Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rommelmarkt

Ahhhhhh, I am getting back to my southern roots. What does one do early in the morning on a such a fine Saturday? Why go to a garage sale with friends, of course! Only in Belgium, it's called a rommelmarkt. The name alone makes it sound so much more glamorous, doesn't it? The concept is the same, though, and if you are willing to do a little walking around, you can happen upon a great deal or two. I am proud of myself for showing great restraint, and making this single fabulous purchase. It's an antique tailor's iron, and I paid 2 euro for it. (I'm patting myself on the back as I type this.) I returned home with my prize, revealed it to the family, and watched the hubby's eyes roll back in his head. "Why did you buy that?" he asked. "Because I liked it," I replied. It's OK. This is sort of a routine that we go through when I go shopping. I tend to buy unusual things that I find interesting, and he wonders why I do it. When I first moved here, I went to an antique market in Tongeren. I happened upon this pigeon timer and loved it on sight. I don't know why. I guess it's the history behind it and the fact that it was something that was really used. I'm a sucker for something with a story. Anyway, I bought it and brought it home, and the hubby looked at me like I'd lost my mind. "Why do we need this?" he asked. "Because I liked it." was my response. And so the ritual of my Belgium bargain hunting began. I did a little research on the Internet and found one of these for sale in an antique shop for $400. That made the hubby happy. An investment is something that makes sense to him. (I wouldn't sell it, but we'll let him have his happy dream.) Slowly I am starting a collection of interesting things. I only have a few rules: don't spend much money, make sure it will fit in the house, and only buy things that make me smile. I like to think of it as a treasure hunt.

2 comments:

  1. See, you and I are alot alike. I love finding cool antique things that have a nice history to it :) Eric and I have the same routine... "Why'd you get that?" "Cause I liked it!".. I win the majority of the time, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guys just don't get it, do they? It's nice that they let us get away with it, though. :0)

    ReplyDelete