Thursday, December 1, 2011

On The First Day Of Christmas...

I went to the local grocery store to get milk. That's melk if you speak Belgie. Anyhoo, I was strolling along the aisles, listening to the music being piped in from a local radio station and minding my own business. As I reached out for the dairy, I paused. Did I just hear what I think I heard? I looked around me. Moms were pushing shopping carts along the aisles while their tiny tikes tagged along, jumping and skipping and asking for a treat. The little old ladies were choosing fresh eggs and checking out the specials. Two older gents were catching up on the local gossip near the meat section. No one else seemed to notice anything amiss. The tune on the radio was an old ditty by Alanis Morissette called You Oughta Know. The original version. They don't have "radio versions" over here, and Alanis was a naughty girl when she wrote this tune. You don't expect to hear the F bomb dropped in dairy section, but this is Europe. I've been shopping here before and humming along with a catchy tune before I realized they weren't singing "Thank you, thank you very muuuuuuuch...." Oops! My bad! We're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment