Friday, July 31, 2009

Playing Chicken!

I know you remember the game of "Chicken". Two people head straight for each other, and the first one to freak and veer off is the chicken. We played it as kids with our bikes. Some kids never grew up and played the game with vehicles later on. Here, it's called regular driving... and I'm the chicken! This is a road outside of Peer. Tom/Tammy (our trusty GPS) gets a kick out of sending us this way. I've tried reasoning with her, but to no avail. She swears this route is quicker, no matter WHERE we are going. I think she just gets a kick out of seeing me cringe. The road is normal until you get to this point. Then is merges into a one way road. Well, a two way/one way road. The vehicles go to the left and the bikes go to the right at this point. There is traffic both directions on this tiny road. When you are heading this way, you have the right of way. When you are heading this way-back toward Peer- you do not. There are little pull offs every so often along the road, and you dart into them when you see traffic heading toward you. The game of chicken comes into play when you are wondering if you should pull off now or can you make it to the next pull off before you run into the car/truck/van. Let me point out that the locals have been playing this game their entire lives. They are very good at it. They will stomp on the gas and make it at least two pull offs farther than I would before they veer off. Do not challenge a local. You will not win.
I hide in the cubby until I am sure that no one is in the area (possibly the region), then I dart out and head on my merry way, grumbling at Tammy and telling her politely where she can stick her directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment