Monday, July 13, 2009

Sunday Is Funday!

There was another festival here in town yesterday. I know you think I was making it up when I said they do something EVERY weekend here, but it's plain to see...I was telling the truth! Belgium is a very social country. They love nothing more than getting out, celebrating life and visiting with friends. You know the saying, any excuse for a party... It might look like there weren't many people here for the event, but this is not the case. I have learned that if I get out and take pictures early (before the crowds show up), then I get less eye rolling and comments from the teenager. I get some pictures, Jess is not quite so embarrassed, and everyone is a happy camper. There was quite a lot to see. They had lots of street performers--with very different styles. The stilt walkers were fun to watch. If you think it's hard walking and dancing in stilts, try doing it on cobbled streets! These people had some talent! This group was a lot of fun, too. They traveled around the town, playing the drums and dancing around. They also had a group of kids from a local dance studio out there. They performed a variety of dances in the main market area. There were games and rides, as well. July is sales month in Belgium. All of the stores had tents set up, and had lots of lovely items for sale on them. I am trying very hard to control my spending. They are not making it easy on me.
Notice that all of the men seem to be heading in the same direction? Looks a little suspicious, doesn't it? We followed them around the corner to see what was going on. Across from the chocolate store, there is a lingerie store. They had set up a stage in the middle of the street, and were having a fashion show. Young women were walking around on the stage in silk robes, showing off products available inside. Then they took the robes off. Yes, they were wearing little nighties underneath. No, I did not take any pictures. Russ pointed out that I had just taken pictures of men dancing, but was not taking any of girls wearing very little clothing. (Apparently this did not make any sense to him at all.) I pointed out that I had the camera. Enough said. :0) Still, he got to enjoy the show, and I enjoyed the part when the young man walked out modeling the boxers, and then we traveled on our way again. Belgium rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment