Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ter Dolen Castle

Let me just say, I'm a pretty low maintenance gal. On our first anniversary, we celebrated with dinner out on the town...at the local Sonic drive thru. Foot long chili cheese coney and fries. Don't hate the hubby, he told me I could pick anywhere I wanted, and that was it. What can I say? I like what I like.
When the hubby asked me what I wanted to do yesterday, I replied "I want to eat lunch at a castle." (He didn't even flinch. He's getting used to my unusual requests since we moved here.) "Sure, where is it?" He replied. Now if you had told me six months ago that I'd be having this conversation with the hubby, I would have laughed...hard! Ter Dolen Castle is a local brewery and cafe in a 16th century castle. They make the best Kriek that I've had here. That's the cherry women's beer--it's tastes like an American wine cooler, but SO much better. The cafe serves light food and snacks, and is inside the courtyard of the castle.

It's on a quiet, tree lined country lane. The only sounds you hear are the soft breezes rustling the leaves while birds chirp and flutter from branch to branch. It's paradise. Locals ride their bikes over for a relaxing meal and a drink or two. The castle itself is a private residence, so it's not open to tours, but one section of it is a Bed and Breakfast. I am attaching a link at the bottom of this post, so you can check it out for yourself.
It was an added bonus that our waiter was a good looking young Belgium, who spoke perfect English and translated the menu for us. Good looking waiter equals happy teenager. Happy teenager equals happy family. Life is good. If you need me, I'll be down at the local castle, sipping my cherry Kriek and listening to the birds. Yep, life is good. I could get used to this.
http://www.terdolen.be/

2 comments:

  1. darn, I guess now you aren't so amazed anymore at Darren taking me to France for our first date!!?? LOL :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still impressed that your first date was to France. That's a tough act to follow! I still haven't made it there yet, but it won't be long. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete