Friday, March 18, 2011

Antiquers Anonymous...It's A Ten Step Program

When the lovely folks as Slegers invited me to back my vehicle inside their warehouse to load it up, I knew I had a problem. OK, maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. Truth is, I only got a few fantastic items, and Denise got the BIG DADDY. She snagged an antique double school desk, complete with ink well. GORGEOUS! In all the excitement, I didn't get a picture of it, but maybe if I ask nicely, she'll send me one and I can share it with you. Anyhoo, I got to drive into an antique warehouse...score one for me and scratch another item off of my strange and unusual "To Do" list.


In case you're curious, here are my goodies. I found another trog - this time in light wood. My other one is in a dark wood, so this is totally different. (At least that's what I keep trying to explain to Russ. He's not buying it either, by the way.) I also found a long, skinny type of trog and a round sieve. It might not make any sense to you, but I have a picture in my head of what I can do with these treasures, and that's all that matters. Just go with it.

Check this one out. It's a square trog. I know. It's the coolest, and is now home to my phone books. If you don't own a square phone book trog, then you really don't know what you're missing. I recommend you go out and buy one right now. Go ahead. I'll wait. Here's the last of my purchases....my scale. Russ keeps asking what my fascination is with scales since we moved here, and I really can't explain it. They are just very interesting to me. I have a few pieces of blue and white enamelware, so the second I saw this one, I knew it just had to come home with me. A scale, fresh flowers, and my Starbuck's mugs. It just doesn't get any better than that. (Except maybe if one of the mugs was filled with coffee...)

P.S. Here's a pic of Denise's awesome desk! She's a beauty! (And if she encourages the girls to do their homework without any hassles, then she was well worth the money!)

2 comments:

  1. Aloha, Barb! OMG - a blast from the past! I searched high and low for the perfect "buffet" and I found it at Slegers! What a great warehouse! Have you met Willie in Lummen? When we lived in Sittard, another American spouse "discovered" met him selling "monk's benches" at Tongeren. She asked if he had more at his house and he did! Since then, American spouses have driven to his house to pick out the bed frame that they wanted to convert into a monk's bench, including me!

    I wish I could admire my purchases but they are currently in storage. Enjoy your antique shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't met Willie yet. I'm bummed, because I love those Monk's benches. I'm heading to Tongeren on one of these weekend coming up, so mayby I can hunt him down. Thanks for the tip! Sorry to hear that your treasures are stored for now, but won't it feel like Christmas when you get them back? :0)

    ReplyDelete