Thursday, March 11, 2010

Surprise For Stanley At Slegers-Heise

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that there was one more thing that Stanley was interested in seeing before he left Belgium. He'd heard a lot about antiques, and was curious to go and see the place that I've been raving about...Slegers-Heise. He wasn't overly excited about what he might see, mind you. He just wanted to know what all the talk was about. After all, as Russ would say, it's used furniture, right? Not so, little man, not so. I have a special surprise for Stanley, inside the magical world that is the antique warehouse. It doesn't look like much from the outside. It would appear to be just another big warehouse, but in reality, entering this building is like being allowed to peek into your rich (and somewhat eccentric) old aunt's attic. There is no telling what you will find! Ahhhhhh. Lots and lots of glorious antiques! They aren't all about overpriced merchandise and snobby attitudes in here. Everyone is welcome, and anyone can afford something inside. (Granted, the furniture is pretty expensive, but fairly priced). I tend to buy the inexpensive, but interesting, items that are found on the second floor. This is where I bought my scale, Speculoos cookie molds, and bread rack.) Things are literally stacked everywhere. You can meander around, poking in and out of aisles, searching for hidden treasures all day if you like. The owners are very kind, and are quick to offer you a cup of coffee and answer any questions that you might have. If you ask for a specific item, they will take you right to it, but I prefer to just wander around. Now do you see why this place is so much fun to explore? You probably also see why the hubby tries to avoid it completely.

Tucked into one of the corners, slightly hidden behind random pieces of furniture, lies the surprise I had in mind for Stanley. Remember when I said that there's no telling what you'll find in this place? Well, I wasn't joking. This lovely carousel has been in here since I first started coming to Slegers. I can't imagine why someone hasn't snapped it up by now!


Stanley wanted to get a closer look at it, so he went over to check it out. Yep, he wanted to buy it. They do ship furniture, but unfortunately, they couldn't ship this back to Florida for him.


It was a little out of his price range, too, so Stanley just had to sit there and day dream about it instead. He sat in the fire engine and pretended to race around, while my friends and I continued on with our browsing. I didn't make any purchases today, but I have my eye on a few goodies for later on.

Note to hubby: If you happen to read this, these doors are really awesome. Wouldn't they look fantastic in our retirement house, leading into your "Man Room/Office"? They deliver. I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. OMG yes, Russ, you must go buy those doors! Spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete