Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ups And Downs


I started my new "healthier lifestyle" at the start of 2010. When the kids returned to school after the Christmas break, I started going to the gym. Nothing too outrageous, mind you. Just 3 days a week. Other than that week at Edelweiss, I've stuck to my routine pretty faithfully. I've never been one of those exercise fanatics who just "doesn't feel complete" without their daily workout. I haven't experienced that fabled runner's high. But, in all, I do feel better and have more energy. I also am taking part in KB's Fitness Center's Biggest Loser program. They weighed us at the start of the new year, and re-weigh us every so often to keep track of our progress. For every percentage of our weight that we lose, we'll receive a prize in the end. In all honesty, I don't really have a lot of weight to lose. (And to my friend who said, "The only way you could lose weight is to cut off a leg!" I LOVE YOU!) I just need to tone up. The middle age jigglies are alive and well, and living on me. And then there is the hail damage on the thighs...well, we won't go there. Anyhoo, I am exercising. Then came the first weigh in recently. I lost two pounds. And my clothes fit the same as they did when I started. Disheartening. Depressing. Irritating. Infuriating. It's hard to keep going on with things when you don't seem to see much progress. I am not a quitter, though. I am still going. Russ gives me pep talks. "Muscle weighs more than fat." "These things take time." "Your heart is so much healthier now, and that's what's most important." On Friday morning, I was on the treadmill, and happened to mention to a friend who was also working out, that I was disappointed in my progress. My knees and ankle hurt, my legs and rear were sore from the previous workout, and I didn't really have anything to show for it. She said that she was having the same problems. Then the lovely Belgian man on the exercise bike turned to us, smiled, and said "You have to go down, before you can go up." As crazy as that statement is, it makes sense. And I appreciate his kindness in saying it. So I keep going to the gym. And I change up my exercise routine, to keep those fat cells confused. Maybe they will get irritated and wonder off to bug someone else.


P.S. I've been so caught up in every day activities, that I haven't taken Stanley on any new adventures lately. We've hit a kind of lull. Maybe it's time to send Stanley on his way back to Florida. I'll ask him when he gets up. (He stayed up late last night, playing video games with the kids. He's been hitting the gym with me, so he deserves the break. He lost 3 pounds. Darn that Stanley!)

No comments:

Post a Comment