Friday, August 27, 2010

Supporting Team KB, No Matter Where It Takes Us!

There are three runners here at Kleine Brogel (KB) who are training to take part in a big marathon. Today, they were doing their long run...a little over 23 miles. When they asked Russ and I if we would like to go along on our bikes as part of the "support team", we jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, Belgian weather is a little fickle, and she did not decide to bless us with blue skies. So we did the run/ride in the rain. Such is life. In Spain, they have the running of the bulls. In Belgium, we have the running of the geese. Don't laugh. These beasts are every bit as ferocious as the bulls. They refused to give up the bike path to the runners, and insisted on running along in front of the group. They stubby little legs gave out rather quickly, and they decided to rest on the side of the canal. Apparently they don't have any more tolerance for the paparazzi than they do for runners, because right after I took this picture...the white one tried to bite me! (Can anyone say "Christmas goose"? I'm hunting you down for my holiday meal, big fella!)After the goose episode, things quieted down. Thank goodness. We took off along another canal and ended up in another country. (How often can you say that?) We actually rode our bikes into the Netherlands. That's another thing I can cross off of my Bucket List! Then we went down a little street that is apparently favored by artists. This sculpture is called "De Helende Aarde", which translates to "Healing The Earth". I like that.

I also like the quote on the plaque from Ghandi that states, "Be the change you wanna see in the world." Words to live by! Here is a better look at the sculpture. And just a little bit of a closer look.
This house is a few doors down from the earth sculpture. They like to express their creativity in another way. No, I did not pose for this hedge sculpture. (You know you were thinking it.)
This sculpture was in the garden of another house on the street. And before you ask, I didn't pose for this one either. (Although she does have my thighs. I'm just saying.) When it was all said and done, Team KB ran a little over 23 miles. Once Russ and I made it back home, we had biked exactly 28 miles. Whew. I don't know about you, but it's time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment