Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mugged By Starbucks...

I've started a new obsession...um, I mean collection. Actually, I think I've showed great restraint in this area so far. (The hubby might not agree, but such is life. It's his own fault, you know. He made the mistake of saying "I like these mugs. They're something you can actually use instead of just sitting on a shelf, taking up space." In wife talk, that means "Buy all you want. I'm OK with it." ) I'm trying to limit myself to places that I've actually been. OK, I haven't been to London just yet, but when a friend asked if I wanted her to pick up one for me while she was there, I couldn't resist. I'll get there eventually, and then it will be official. Each one has the name of a city or country. (They have them for US cities, too, and I'm working on getting some of those.) On the back of each mug is a building, statue or object that the city is known for. Amsterdam has a bike. Aachen has a fountain. I like to think of them as a kind of scrapbook. A cup of memories, if you will. When I drink my morning coffee out of one of them, I think back to our visit to that area. When I use the Munich mug (Munchen), I think about exploring the snow covered city with Jess and Brandon, while Russ was in meetings. (Poor Russ.) I remember caramel hot chocolate, waiting for the Glockenspiel to chime, making new friends, and the meatball that almost ate the city! When I use the Antwerp mug, I remember a day full of laughter with Jess, Erika and Rayna. I think about goofing around in the train station (having just missed our train!) and sipping on Frapuccino's while waiting for the next one. Someday, when I'm old and grey....well, older and greyer than I am now...and drinking coffee from these mugs, I'm sure these memories will come back to me once again. For now, I'll keep collecting. Not just the mugs, but happy memories that I'll have forever. Hope your day is full of happy memories as well.

2 comments:

  1. Brandons face made me literally laugh out loud!

    You realize, I'm now going to blog about my ridiculous mugs, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you haven't done it already! What are you waiting for? LOL!

    ReplyDelete