Monday, August 2, 2010

Home Again, Home Again...

The past two weeks flew by in a whirlwind of activity. We ate, visited, shopped, swam, ate and visited some more, and pretty much ran around like crazy people during the entire trip. As you can see in this picture, the cats were thrilled to have us back in their lives, even if it was for a short time. Tink could barely contain her enthusiasm. Ashley informed me that she has been following our adventures on my blog, but wanted to know why there weren't more pictures of her and Tink on there. (I believe her exact words were "Churches, corn, amusements parks, blah blah blah...I want to hear more about me!") We had a wonderful time being spoiled rotten by all of the Grandparents. They took us to all of our favorite restaurants and stores that we had been missing so badly. We also reconnected with family members that we haven't seen in at least 5 years (pre-Alaska). While talking to family and friends, I realized what a nomadic lifestyle we've been living for the last 20 years. Being part of the military family, I've come to recognize that there are 3 categories of people: those who will always feel the place that they grew up in is the best, those whose "last base" is so much better than any place they've lived in (including their current location), and those who feel that wherever they are living is the best place in the world to be. We happen to belong to the last group. Each location we've lived in has been the most fantastic place to be. Granted, we've been very fortunate in where the military sends us, but still...home is where you make it. Before our trip to the states, I was missing the familiar. I missed being able to read everything, to understand every word spoken around me, to drive on wide roads and find all of the things I needed in one central location. I missed the ease that comes with being in a place where I actually know what's going on. And I missed family. Our two weeks back in the states, as hectic as it ended up being, was medicinal. It was a welcome break for a tired soul. But, that said, flying back into Belgium filled me with a feeling of coming home. Although I still miss my family, my home is now here, surrounded by all of the things that make this country so special. Yes, I might have to work a little harder for things here, but it's worth it. Of course, if someone wanted to put in a Walmart and Sonic in the neighborhood, that would be nice, too. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment