Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Listening... On The Canal

The weather is too nice to be in a gym right now, and I've been lazy about going there lately, anyway. The canal is not too far from home, so there is no excuse for not running or walking. Well, there are lots of excuses, but none that are big enough to get me out of exercising, so off to the canal I went. Jess came along for the fun, and we met a friend there. The more the merrier. We all jog at different paces, but it's nice to have company in the vicinity. Unfortunately, I forgot to charge my IPod, so there was no music to distract me today. Instead, I listened to the sounds of the canal. At first, all I could hear was the slapping rhythm of my running shoes hitting the asphalt bike path. I tried not to focus too much on the wheezing of my breathing. (I'm not exactly in prime shape.) After a while, I
started to notice other sounds around me. The wind, blowing the leaves in the trees along both sides of the canal, similar to the sound of water flowing over a waterfall. The little song birds chirping to each other in the trees. The occasional splash of fish striking the surface of the water, trying to catch that tasty bug for breakfast. The distant bark of a dog. The soft cha-ching of a bicycle bell as someone approached from behind, letting me know that they wanted to pass. A friendly nod and "Morga'" (Mornin') from a local as they ride by. A crane whooping Good Morning, as well. I didn't hear the corn, but I am almost positive I heard Bessie, the cow, whispering to me as I went by. "What are you doing?" she said. "You don't see me running. I happen to love my big butt. Come on over to the shade and relax a bit. I won't tell anyone." Next time, Bessie. I just might take you up on that. I jogged on, hypnotized by the quiet swishing sound the fabric of my pants was making as my thighs rubbed together. I'm not completely positive, but I think I heard Bessie giggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment