Saturday, June 26, 2010

Achel Abbey

Sint-Benedictusabdij De Achelse Kluis is quite the mouth full, isn't it? That's why we refer to this place as the Achel Abbey. Why is it important, you ask? If you know anything about beer, you'll know that this place is one of the producers of Trappist Beer, which is beer that is made by monks. Some Trappist beer has to be ordered in advanced, but Achel has a little store on the property, so you can get it right away. The abbey is not open to tours, but you can get a peek of it through the lovely iron gate. One thing that they do have here, is great food and great beer. Lots of people ride their bikes out here and relax over a good meal. We cheated... and drove. Actually, Russ and some of his friends from work rode their bikes out here on Friday, and he knew I'd like to check it out, so he brought me and the kids back today. This is one of the reason's that Russ knew I'd love this place. It sits on the border of Belgium and The Netherlands. I couldn't resist. My kids are in different countries. So close, and yet so far.
Now I'm in two different countries at the same time. I knew that split personality would come in handy some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment