Friday, April 23, 2010

Guitars, Teenagers and Brad Paisley

The hubby told me that I could pick out anything that I wanted for my Anniversary gift last month. This could have gotten him into lots of trouble, but I behaved myself and chose something that has always held a great fascination for me. I wanted a guitar. After weeks of research and shopping locally and online, I ended up at a tiny music shop in a nearby town and purchased this little beauty. (Little is rhetorical. Guitars are actually a lot bigger than they look on TV!) I have an old book that teaches you the basics in guitar playing, so I've been practicing with that. After a couple of weeks of "playing", I have sore fingertips, knowledge of the basic notes and a few chords, and still can't play any real songs. I'm OK with this. I know that it takes time. Of course, the fact that the Teenager went to school and came home playing an entire song stings a little. It's only 3 or 4 chords, but you can recognize the tune. (Darn those guitar playing friends of hers!) I console myself with the thought that her mind is still young and pliable, while mine is maybe just a little bit dusty, but at least I know the notes! Then Jess pointed out that most songs are chords anyway, so she doesn't really need to learn individual notes right now. Fine. I'll just go do some research and watch Brad Paisley music videos all afternoon. It's not like I WANT to watch him, but it's just something I have to do for the sake of my art. Some day, I'll learn a song. Until then, I have a message for the Teenager...knowledge is power, baby, and if someone needs me to point out a "C" note on the guitar, then I'm their gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment