Saturday, April 10, 2010

Friday At Noah's Ark And Keukenhof Gardens, Holland

In the Netherlands, there is something really interesting hanging out in the canals. Look familiar? Yep, it's Noah's Ark. OK, it's a scaled down replica, but it's still really cool. They are in the process of building a true to size Ark, but for now, this is something you need to go and check out. Some friends of ours scheduled a bus trip to see it, so we boarded at 6:30 (ugh!) in the morning, and took off. Now, I'm sure that a lot of things come to mind when you think about Noah's Ark, but I'll tell you what I think about. It's the poem by Shel Silverstein, that was turned into a song by the Irish Rovers. I'm a product of my environment. I blame my Dad. Now 99.9% of the people who read this are scratching their heads right now and thinking "Irish Rovers? Who the heck are they?" My parents are the only ones who know, I'm sure. Go ahead. I'll give you a minute to google it. (You know you want to.) Now I'll ask you if you noticed something in the picture.....yep. Two male lions. Noah needs to be careful about these things. No more lions...but being the unusual family that they are, they have decided to adopt a baby deer. Not a couple to be left out of the newest fad, Mr. and Mr. Moose have also adopted. At least they decided to stay within their species. The Lord seen some sinning, and it gave Him pain. And He says, "Stand back, I'm going to make it rain." And He says, "Hey Noah, I'll tell you what to do. Build me a floating zoo, and take some of those green alligators, and long-necked geese, some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees, some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born, the loveliest of all is the unicorn."Old Noah was there, and he answered the call. He finished up making the ark just as the rain started to fall. He marched up the animals, two by two, and he called out as they came through..."Hey Lord, I got green alligators and long-necked geese, some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees, some cats and rats and elephants, but Lord I'm so forlorn, I just can't find no unicorns." Well, you get the gist of the story, but to find out what happened to those silly unicorns, you just have to google....Here's Noah himself, with some of his friends. This is the upper level of the Ark. It was really interesting to see, and quite frankly, I think it would make an awesome house boat. It also answered the age old question of they ate while they were at sea for a year...they had vending machines. Now it all makes sense, doesn't it. After the Ark, we went to Keukenhof Gardens in Holland. The Gardens are only open for a couple of months each year, during the blooming season, of course. It's amazing! Even with the late frost that we had this Spring, the flowers were blooming beautifully. This is an organ that someone made by hand. It was very impressive, and made beautiful music. We spent several hours wandering around the Gardens, but still didn't see it all. It's HUGE! I think I took about 1,000 pictures.Love the yellow and red together!This windmill was built in 1892, and was donated to the Gardens in 1957. They restored it and opened it up to the public in 2008. There is a great view from the top. Don't these remind you of peppermint candies?It's hard to tell from the picture, but these flowers were teal blue in the center and faded to a purplish blue toward the outside. I've never seen anything like these. They almost didn't seem real. I think I had to have a picture of each kind of tulip that they had. You also have to have the tourist picture wearing the clogs. Brandon was a good sport about it. The swans were pretty, but nasty, too. They were begging for bread, and whenever the ducks got too close to the food, the swans would pull out their tail feathers. Cranky old birds!I loved this little waterfall. All too quickly, it was getting late and time to board the bus to return home. It was a beautiful day at Keukenhof Gardens, and we hope to return there again. It's one of those places that's different each time you visit it. If you haven't been there, go quickly, because it closes the middle of May. If you don't make it by then...you'll have to wait until next March. I hope you enjoyed our adventures this week as much as we did. We are going to do absolutely nothing for the next couple of days. Then I'll see if I can find a castle to explore that doesn't require a 3 miles hike. The weather is great, and time is flying by so fast. There are lots more place to see in Europe. No telling where we will end up next... Happy Travels!

1 comment:

  1. we considered going there during our 3 days that we can't stay in the B&B. But weren't sure if the tulips would still be blooming mid-May? I think we are going to the alps instead.

    ReplyDelete