Friday, November 11, 2011

Couch To 11K In One Day!

So here's what went down. My loving hubby called me up and said "Hey, Ken is planning a run/walk for Veteran's Day here on base. Are you in?" Of course, my first question is how far?

"11 kilometers", he replied. I've never ran 11 kilometers in my life, and I was quick to point this out. "No problem", he assured me. "You can walk it. Other wives will be walking it." Fine. Sign me up. I've walked over twice that far in the snow (if you recall my Bastogne adventure last December), so I can handle it. Keep in mind that I haven't ran in around 6 weeks or so, and all I was doing then was 5K. I did 3 weeks of another workout program, but that skidded to a halt when we flew over to Scotland for a few days. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago. I haven't done anything since. That in mind, I showed up at the event: The First Annual Veteran's Day 11K Run/Walk/Bike ride. In case you were wondering, we started at precisely 11:11. (Nice touch, don't you think?) The two ladies I was walking with proceeded to start jogging. As did everyone else. Hmmmm. That's a little strange, but maybe they are just getting warmed up and will walk in a minute. By the 3rd kilometer, I had figured out that they perhaps were not walkers after all. At that point, I quit jogging and walked for a few paces. They didn't take the hint, so I jogged again. By the 5th kilometer, they were carrying on a lively conversation, so my wheezing must not have been quite as loud as it sounded to me. I revived just a little bit at the half way point to utter the phrase "Are you freaking kidding me? I've only gone half way?" Around the 10th kilometer, I waved them on. They offered to slow down so I could keep up, but I would have felt guilty for that. I walked and jogged alone for the next half kilometer, then I saw the hubby approaching me. He kept me company for the final bit, assuring me the entire way that he really did think that the other wives were walking this course. It's all good, though. I ran/walked 11 kilometers without puking or passing out. And even though I am the oldest female on our little base, I did not finish last. In all, it was a very good day. Whether I can get out of bed tomorrow, is another matter entirely. That said, Happy Veteran's Day. If you don't do anything else today, remember those that fought for your freedom. Some even died for it. The least we can do is remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment