Friday, January 28, 2011

Sint Theresiakerk in As, Belgium

Sint Theresiakerk (St. Therese Church) is not one of the biggest churches in Belgium. Nor is she one of the oldest. In fact, she's a baby as far as buildings go around here. She was built in 1930-1931. But the thing I like most about this church is that she is simply... beautiful. She is constructed mainly of weisser stein, or white stone, with a few other varieties thrown in for good measure. She reminds me of an old building out of a fairy tale. I pass by her every now and then, on my way to somewhere "important", and I always glance her way and smile. She has that effect on you, you know. For the last year and a half, I've promised to take the time to stop and really check her out, maybe even go inside it that's allowed. She's at her most glorious in the summer, when the sun is shinning bright, she is surrounded by lush plant life, and all of the flowers are in full bloom. I'd love to photograph her then. But for now, I dropped by for a few minutes on a chilly afternoon (32 F) and took a couple of pictures so that I could share her with you. There is a small monument off to the side of the church.
It says "Aandenken aan al de slachtoffers der beide oorlogen", and it means "commemorate (or remember) all the victims of two wars."

No comments:

Post a Comment