Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Moms in Monschau, Germany

Russ and I went to Monschau, Germany, a few months ago. It was one of those places that we knew we had to go back to, so it was a perfect location to take the Moms. I won't bore you with the history of the town again. Feel free to read my last post about Monschau if you want all those details. As pretty as it was in April, it was even more so now... in full bloom.





Here is proof that we haven't worn the Moms out too much yet. You would think that we all would be losing weight with all the running around we've been doing, but that's not the case. We've been doing a lot of eating, too.





The Red House (still peach in color) was just as pretty as last time.





And this is still my favorite view of the city. Can you imagine growing up in a place like this? I think the castle ruins on the hillside in the background is a nice touch. Europe is amazing.










The dapper gentleman was still hanging around outside the church. The plaque beside him says that this is Maabens Paulche (1856 - 1940).





This is another one of my favorite views in Monschau. After admiring the view, turn around and head to the bakery (just behind you to the right).



Inside, you'll find some delicious German gingerbread. If nothing else, just walk into this store and take a deep breath. You'll never want to leave. It smells that good.





Russ and his Mom posed in front of my future home. It's separated from the rest of the town by a little creek with stone walls on each side of it.



There is a little bridge over the creek. The only change I need to make it changing the bridge into a draw bridge. Then it will be perfect.



This is the view from the front of my future home.



There is a sculpture garden on the other side of Monschau. It's lots of fun to walk around, so make sure you stop by on your visit to the city. This fountain made us laugh.



The whole garden had lots of interesting fountains and sculptures. It gave all of us lots of inspiration for our own gardens. Mom would have bought a fountain, but she couldn't fit it into her luggage.



A short walk past the sculpture garden takes you to the glass shop. They have a glass blower on location, so all of these products were made here. They had just about every color of glass you could imagine, and twice as many shapes.



After browsing through the glass displays, we headed back into the main part of Monschau to find some lunch.



German food is not low fat, but boy is it delicious. Russ and his Mom got the schnitzel with mushroom sauce. Mom and I got it with the local Monschau mustard sauce. Delicious!


I think the Moms really enjoyed their day in Monschau.




Not only did the Moms get to check out a new city, they also added a new country to their list of places they've been. If you're keeping track, they have now been to Belgium, The Netherlands, France, England, and Germany. And it's just been two weeks! We'll be taking it a lot easier from here on out. We have lots of day trips planned, but no more big adventures to far off lands. Tomorrow, we will check out things closer to home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I was just doing some research for my trip to Monschau tomorrow and stumbled upon your blog... I'm also Barb, living in Dusseldorf Germany, also military (I think I saw that you are somewhere)! I have an old friend coming to visit for two days and we're going to hit Monschau and Maastricht. Hope you don't mind me poking around your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This is Barb. Blogger has some issues and won't let me post as myself right now. :0) I'm glad the blog helped you. Monschau is one of my favorite places in all of Europe. It's like walking into a Fairy Tale. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Be sure so eat some jagerschnitzel with the local mustard sauce. YUM! If you like it as much as I did, then head over to the butcher shop and get Chili mustard. It's what they used. They have little decorative jars of it in the window there. Maastricht is a gorgeous city as well. (And they have a ton of great stores if you're in the mood to shop.) If you find some free time, check out Aachen, Germany, or Drielandedpunt. They are right beside Monschau. Hope you and your friend have an awesome time!!!

    ReplyDelete