Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hamont...Antiques and Windmills

I go to Hamont a lot. Well, one place in Hamont, to be exact...Slegers-Heise Antiques. In fact, I just made a quick run over there to check out an amazing bench. Not just any bench, mind you. THE bench. The very one I've been looking for all last year! I saw it on their website under "new arrivals" and Russ told me to just go and get it. I won't bore you with the details, but once I got there, I found out that it was already sold. *sadness*. I spent a little time in the store anyway, wandering around and telling myself that maybe the bench wasn't as amazing as it looked after all. Maybe it had a big crack somewhere, or maybe it smelled like an old man's stinky feet. Maybe. Anyhoo, after my great disappointment, I decided to make the most of the beautiful day and actually check out the town. I had no idea that Hamont was home to this beautiful windmill called Napoleansmolen. It was built in 1804. You know that I have a thing for windmills, so this made me feel a lot better. How could you possibly feel sad when you live in a place with such beautiful things to see and explore? This plaque on the side of the windmill gives you a brief history of the building. If your Nederlands is a little rusty (like mine), then check out their website. It has some great pictures, and really has some interesting information about the windmill and the town of Hamont.
I have a thing about European churches, too, and this is the one in the centrum of Hamont. Very pretty! Things were a little busy when I was there, but I plan on heading back on a quiet morning some time soon to take more pics of this beautiful building called St. Laurentiuskerk (St. Lawrence Church). It's a Gothic Revival church and it was built between 1903 and 1904. Enough exploring for the day. It was time to get back home and start searching the internet for that perfect antique bench... One that's even more amazing than the one that "got away". *snif*

1 comment: