Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Random Wednesday

One of my favorite movies is While You Were Sleeping. One of the best lines in the movie comes at the end, when Lucy says, "Life doesn't always turn out the way you plan. But Jack...Jack gave me the perfect gift: a stamp in my passport." I remember watching this when we first got orders to Europe. The thought of a actually having a passport was so exciting to me. (Heck, it still is.) I was thrilled when it finally came in the mail, and examined it very carefully, anticipating all of the lovely and exotic stamps that would soon fill it's pages. Now that I've been in Europe for almost a year, I've been lucky enough to have been some to some exciting locations. I've been to Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, and The Netherlands. My passport is still utterly and depressingly blank. I pass quietly through the borders of different countries. No one ever asks to see my passport. I want to approach people and thrust my passport in their faces, begging for just one stamp in my little blue book, but I don't. With my luck, they would find something amiss with my paperwork, and I would end up in a dark little cell in Poland while waiting for my call to the American consulate to be returned. So I continue to travel on. Quietly. Hoping that one day, in the not to distant future, someone will say those wonderful words to me..."Passport, please." Maybe then, I will finally get that stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment