Monday, September 14, 2009

Tongeren


We stopped by Tongeren on Saturday on our way home from Liege, so I thought I'd share a few pictures with you. Tongeren is the oldest town in Belgium, founded in 15 BC. This is the Basilica of Our Lady. To say it's an amazing sight, is a huge understatement. The bell tower is 64 meters tall. We stopped here because I really want to get a picture of the front of the church. My plan was thwarted once again. The first time I saw the Basilica, it was on a Sunday (Antique Market day). I had only been in Belgium a few days, and was still dealing with jet lag, so I didn't get many pictures. Besides, I was really focusing on the antiques. Who could blame me? This time, they were setting up for a carnival of sorts, so there were rides and food vendors everywhere. Darn, I must force myself to visit the town once again. It's a tough life, isn't it?
Something amazing did happen, though. When we came around the corner to look at the front of the church, we noticed a sign by the door. "Open to visitors." We actually got to go in! My only regret is that I didn't get any pictures, but there were locals inside, and I didn't want to be rude. Let me just say that it was more than I could have imagined. The main section of the church is huge and all open, with amazing stone arches in the ceiling and stunning stained glass windows on each side, reflecting the light. There are lower roofed sections along the left and right, with confessionals and alters in each little area. Each hand carved, dark wood confessional is different from the next. In the back of the church was the largest brass pipe organ that I have ever seen. It looks like nothing has changed in hundreds of years, and that's what makes it so perfect. Just outside the Basilica is an archaeological site, where you can see the remains of an excavated Roman tower from the 4th century. I understand that most of Tongeren is an archaeological wonderland. As we walked along the streets back to the van, we happened upon this deserted road, with thousands of lilies hanging above it. I wonder what the story is behind that...

No comments:

Post a Comment