Saturday, June 13, 2009

Alden Biesen

If I could choose one thing that I've always want to see in person, it would have to be a castle. Today, I got my chance. We headed about 45 minutes away to Alden Biesen. It was worth the wait. It was beautiful. Alden Biesen is a 13th century mediecal castle, who's roots start back in 1220. That was when they received the land on which it stands. Slowly, over hundreds of years, the structures were added.
There is a beautiful French garden that was added in the 18th century. That was when the castle was converted into a residence. We wondered around the garden, enjoying the beautiful flowers and the sounds of the fountain and birds chirping in the background.
There is a beautiful church on the grounds. They were having a wedding there today. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful setting. Beside the castle is a lovely little cafe where we had our lunch. Grilled chicken salad, with fresh vegetables and sliced pears on the side. If this is what European life is all about, sign me up.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm Aledys from the Netherlands. I come originally from Argentina and I've been living here in Europe for 6 years now. I found your blog looking for information about Valkenburg since I am currently writing a new entry for my blog about my holiday in this city.
    For those of us who come from the New World, visiting castles and old fortresses, some of which go back in time up to 900 years, is something really fascinating, isn't it?
    Wonderful place to wander about and have a family day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to meet a fellow blogger. Europe is a great experience, isn't it? I had always wanted to see a real castle, and I'm going to take advantage of this opportunity to see a lot while we're here. I love all of the history here, and it means so much more when you see it first hand. I hope you had as great of a time in Valkenburg as we did. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete