Sunday, September 27, 2009

Road Trip to Germany

Jess was in England for the weekend, playing volleyball, so we decided to take a little road trip to Germany on Saturday. (It's a tough life over here for a teenager, isn't it?) Russ has been to Spangdahlem several times through work, but I hadn't seen it or Bitburg yet, so off we went. Germany, like everywhere else we've been over here so far, is beautiful! Where Belgium is mostly flat, Germany has lots of rolling hills and valleys. They also have alien technology. OK, maybe not, but they do have lots of these wind generators. I must say, though, that I did get a little bit of a disappointment during our trip. After all the buildup that I had heard about it in the states, seeing the Autobahn was a tad of a let down. I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but it looked just like any other interstate I've seen. I think I pictured a fancy, black-topped road with lots of Lamborghini's screaming by at 200 mph. Oh, well. It was kind of cool to be able to drive any speed we wanted (even though we didn't go much over what we would on any other road). Something else to check off my Bucket List. Spangdahlem was a nice little base, and we checked it out and headed over to Bitburg. It's a tad bigger, with a pretty nice BX (that's a military version of Wal-Mart to you civilians). That's not important to you people in the states, but to those of us who really enjoy picking up a few items from the US that you can't find in local stores, it's a BIG DEAL! Oh, and guess what the best part of the trip was...I GOT TO EAT LUNCH AT TACO BELL!!!!!!!!! Once again, don't knock it until you've been out of the country for a few months. I love the local food, but some things...you just miss.
It wasn't long until we were on the road back home again.

An extra bonus of the day was finding the little antique shop at Bitburg. She just happened to have some antique keys in her stock. These were on my list of things I've been looking for, so I picked up a few. Poor Russ thought he had me far away from the "old, used stuff", but he was mistaken. Silly man!

2 comments:

  1. Your trip to Germany sounds like fun! I've never been to Bitburg. The landscape looks really nice, so different from the flat surroundings everywhre else in Holland!
    Isn't it great that everything here is so close at hand? I'm sure your family and friends back in the States, when they read you went to Germany for the day, they went "oh, woooowwww, she went abroad!" :o)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH!! A fellow key collector! Exxxxxxxcellent :D

    ReplyDelete